Monday 4 March 2013

He's At It Again

Cooper will be heading back to the Operating Room tomorrow.  He just wouldn't be Cooper if there wasn't something to worry about.  No real cause for alarm this time though.  He has suffered frequent ear infections since he was 3 months old.  His hearing tests indicate that the frequent inflammation and fluid in his ears is effecting his hearing, and some scarring can be seen on examination.  We would really REALLY like to hold off and not send him back to the OR again so soon, but we fear permanent hearing damage, so it's time to go ahead and get it over with.  He is also a snorer (the only one left in the house since Leigh got skinny!), and has a persistent runny nose, so they will remove his adenoids while they are at it.

Cooper being Coopery

The procedure is very quick, and very routine, but we have been really concerned about him having to go through any type of invasive medical intervention so soon after his open heart surgery.  He has been through so much, so recently, and it feels awful to put him through a remotely similar experience again.  I took him for an anaesthetic consult last Friday, which was reassuring.  I don't have to hand him off to the OR nurse this time, but rather will take him into the OR myself and stay with him until he is asleep. They will also sedate him before starting an IV, which means he won't have to endure any needle pokes.  So this will be made as easy as possible for him.

As a child I had the same procedure done.  I don't really remember much about it to be honest.  But I do remember my dad and the nurse trying to get me dressed afterwards, and puking EVERYWHERE.  So I was just wondering...Grandpa, care to take a day off tomorrow???

-Lex

1 comment: