Monday 27 April 2015

So this is happening...

What exactly is 'this' you ask?  This would be the inside of my right knee.  Remember a few weeks ago when I told you about my terrible run?  I mentioned in that post that my knee was bothering me in a way it only bothers me when I need a new pair of shoes.  So I retrieved a new pair of shoes from my stockpile (I found the Brooks Pure Cadence 2 for $37.50 a pair...I bought 8 pairs).  The discomfort eased up for awhile, but has increased again over the last week.  So as any runner nearing the end of a training cycle would do, I have pulled out all the stops on self treatment.  I have stepped up the stretches I was given by physio 3 years ago.  When being treated for ITBS and some foot/ankle issues at that time I had some medial knee pain as my body realigned itself.  A week of those hip flexor stretches made all the difference that time.

I've been bag-o-corn icing.

Rolling with "The Stick."

And spending some quality time with the foam roller.

Even with all this after Saturday's 14 miler my knee was complaining as much as Jonas Valanciunus complains to the refs.
source
So I decided dropping $20 on some magic KT Tape would be worth my while.  I taped it up Saturday evening and on my Sunday morning 5 miler the discomfort was less of a constant whine, and more of an intermittent mutter (like a 6 year old asked to tidy his room), with no pain at all the rest of the day.  This morning's 7 miler was pain free.   

I was VERY skeptical the first time I tried KT Tape.  I mean really, I'm plunking this piece of tape on my sore joint/bone/muscle/tendon, and you're telling me it's actually going to do something?  But I must say every time I have used it I have found it shockingly effective.  I used it for anterior shin splints when we were training for the Ottawa Marathon, and for a short time for an ITBS flare up when we were training for the Bluenose Marathon.  

From the KT Tape website:

KT TAPE is applied along muscles, ligaments, and tendons (soft tissue) to provide a lightweight, external support that helps you remain active while recovering from injuries. KT Tape creates neuromuscular feedback (called proprioception) that inhibits (relaxes) or facilitates stronger firing of muscles and tendons. This feedback creates support elements without the bulk and restriction commonly associated with wraps and heavy bracing. KT Tape gives you confidence to perform your best.

I must say, they've made a believer out of me.  A single taping usually lasts about 3 days even with daily workouts (sweating) and showering.  There are a number of different colours available, but I have found that green and yellow sticks better than purple and blue (strange??).  The KT Tape website has videos showing ways to tape various injuries.  Don't take this as personal medical advice...I am just a nurse after all, but I can tell you I have had incredible success pairing KT Tape with other diligent injury self care like icing, stretching, and rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment