Saturday 18 April 2015

The one where I didn't have an idea what to blog about.

It's a year of Big Goals around here. Run 100km, raise $10 000+ for The Hospital for Sick Children, blog twice a week and a personal goal for me (Leigh); grow an epic beard. All of these goals are things we haven't done before and each will present it's own set of unique challenges. So far today I have engaged in the process of epic beard growing, and ran a long run, so to make it a trifecta of goal achievement I'm going to throw down something resembling a blog for ya'll.

So without further adieu, I present:

5 Things That Leigh Wants To Tell You About

1. I have been rocking new shoes for ultra training.

Since early November (the weekend of Lexie's BQ attempt in the Hammer) I have been wearing Hoka's. For those of you not interested in clicking that link, Hoka's are a 'Maximal' shoe that have a large degree of padding in the forefoot and heel to cushion your stride and protect your joints. they look like this:


Despite their space boot appearance, they are some of the lightest shoes I have ever owned. Unfortunately,  I have gotten used to their cushy feel so they just feel like normal shoes to me now, but so far they have served me well. I have had the usual aches and pains that come with high volume training, but so far have been injury free (everyone do whatever lucky thing they do RIGHT NOW to avoid the jinx). I am currently trying to convince Lex to give them a whirl, but she doesn't like changing things up as much as I do. If you know anyone at Hoka, tell them about my love for their shoes. I would gladly shill for them. 

2. We have been asked to be Ambassadors for The Great Canadian Run

This week, Lexie and I received an email from one of the race organizers for the relay asking us if we would be interested in being ambassadors again this year. We obviously accepted because we are all about The Great Canadian Run and want to do whatever we can do spread the word and get more cash into the hands of the people at Sick Kids. 

So what does this mean for us? It means we promise to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about the run to everyone and anyone we know via facebook, twitter, email, verbal communication, and snapchat (just kidding, I don't know what that is). We will have access to some great material that can help us in our fundraising efforts, and we get a cool t-shirt that I promise I will show you when they arrive. Which will be a blog post of it's own. If you want to follow us on twitter we are @runningfor555 tell your friends, we will need all the help we can get to make it to $10 000.

3. Today this song came on at the end of our run, and it was awesome!


A funny thing happens when Lexie and I run long very long. So far we have done 2-20 milers, a 24 miler, and 26.2 miler. By about mile 18 of each of these runs we are usually too tired to talk to each other anymore. So today I had the genius idea to bring Lexie's phone in my hydration pack, so artists could sing to us instead, and we were lucky enough to hear this HUGE TUNE! 

4. We have been eating all the food and going to bed at 8pm

Running 50 miles a week has its negatives. For example, I spend most of my day thinking about going to bed at 8pm. Which we have accomplished 5 times already this week. Which may seem like a positive, except most of my conversations at work go like this: 

Student/Colleague: "Leigh/Sir, did you see/do that amazing thing that everyone else saw on TV/did last night that was totally amazing and you will never get to see/do again?"

Me: "No, when was it on/did it happen?"

Student/Colleague: "8:04pm"

Me: "Nope, I was sleeping"

On a more positive note, I have been eating so much food and not caring at all about the consequences. Which is awesome, unless I don't have food, then I get hangry, which is a real thing FYI

What food are we eating you ask? Well the answer is simple: Yes.

5. I can't count

See you guys next week for my next blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment